The main meal of the day in Egypt is lunch and the portions are usually generous and filling, so it is generally common for dinners to be much lighter. If you like to dine late, you will have no problems since, in general, the Egypt dinner hours tend to be later than those commonly seen in most European countries, especially during the summer months.
What to eat in Egypt
- Baba ganush: This dense eggplant-based puree is similar to hummus and is usually served with pita bread.
- Mezze: One of the most common options that can be found as starters in the menu of Egyptian restaurants are mezze. It is a tasting of different dishes that are usually cold and are served in small portions.
- Fetir: Popularly known as Egyptian pizza, fetir can be prepared with different ingredients and has a dough similar to puff pastry.
- Kofta: Among the meat dishes the most consumed option is kofta, minced meat with spices that is usually served in the form of balls that are roasted by skewering them.
- Hamama mashwi: One of the typical dishes of Egypt is the hamama mashwi, a roasted pigeon that is usually served filled with rice, liver and sweetbreads.
- Tabbouleh: A typical Arabic dish where they exist, tabbouleh is a salad that can be presented in different versions, the most common being those made from lentils or bulgur (wheat semolina).
- Fatta: This delicious and consistent dish is made with meat, rice and bread. This is a very simple and flavorful recipe that is often served especially during the holidays.
- Basbousa: This popular Egyptian dessert is proof that delicious and simple recipes can be made using basic ingredients such as yoghurt, semolina and flour.
- Baklava: If you like sweet snacks, baklava are the ideal choice for you. Its main ingredients include filo dough, butter, sugar and nuts.
- Shai: Tea is the preferred drink in Egypt. It is offered practically as a social ritual and is commonly consumed throughout the day.
- Beer: If you want to try the local Egyptian beer, you will have no problem finding a Stella in any bar or restaurant. It's a fairly mild drink compared to other beers.
Where to eat in Egypt
When it comes to enjoying the delicious gastronomy of Egypt, you will find all kinds of restaurants, be they spaces where you will meet with local citizens to enjoy a traditional atmosphere, or more touristic where you can also enjoy delicious typical Egyptian dishes.
In each of the cities of Egypt you will find restaurants adapted to all tastes and all budgets, Therefore, it's best to ask the guides for advice, indicating what you are looking for so that they can advise you on the most suitable options for you.
This area of the capital is home to the hustle and bustle of passersby and enjoy restaurants specialising in typical Egyptian food, although you can also find different options in which they are offered international dishes.