Discover the monastic complex of Wadi El Natrun and the location of the famous battle of El Alamein when you take our fantastic trip from Cairo.
Wadi El Natrun Monasteries and El Alamein Trip
After picking you up from your hotel in Cairo, we will travel to the desert area of Wadi El Natrun, located about two hours from the Egyptian capital.
Our first stop is at the Monastery of Saint Pishoy. Standing in front of the magnificent white domes which contrast sharply with the red desert landscapes, we will learn all about the history of the saint who founded the abbey. You will also learn how that episode has been wiped from the annals of history and why that may have been intentional.
Our next visit takes place at the Monastery of Saint Mary Deipara, commonly known as the Syrian monastery, which is dedicated to the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria. Inside we will admire many wonderful visual artifacts such as the beautiful frescoes of the ceilings.
Our next stop on the tour is Deir Baramos, known as "the monastery of the Romans". During the visit, we will also learn all about the princes Maximus and Domitius who founded this sacred place.
From Deir Baramos we then head to El Alamein, an Egyptian coastal town which was the setting for one of the key battles of World War II. In order to learn more about this historic event, we will visit the city's Military Museum, where we will see a variety of tanks and other weapons used in warfare. We will also visit the War Cemetery, where the bodies of the soldiers who lost their lives in the line of duty are laid to rest.
Then, following a quick break during which you can rest and have some food, we will return to Cairo and drop you at your hotel.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 45% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Tour in English||
Tour in English
Per personUS$ 70.20
* A reservation for one person will include a supplement.
The tour is exclusively in English.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport by air conditioned bus or minibus.
English speaking guide during the trip.
Entry to the monuments visited on the itinerary.
Bottle of mineral water.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (Cairo local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 4 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).