Greeks, Romans... the cultural legacy of Alexandria can be seen in every one of its monuments and archaeological sites. immerse yourself in the past with this excursion from Cairo.
Excursion to Alexandria
At 6:30 in the morning we'll leave from Cairo towards Alexandria, the most important Mediterranean city in Egypt.
We'll begin our tour of the Alexandria port, visiting the Qaitibay Citadel. This defensive complex was constructed in the 15th century by the Sultan Qaitibay, where the famous Lighthouse of Alexandria once stood. The lighthouse was destroyed by several earthquakes, whose remains were then used to build the citadel.
Then we head to the south of the city, where we'll head to the Kom el Shoqafa Catacombs, where the relief artwork shows the fusion of Egyptian and Greco-Roman culture. We'll see its three different levels, to get to know its passages, tunnels and galleries along which the tombs of the necropolis are distributed. near these catacombs can be found Pompey's Pillar, just where the temple dedicated to the Greco-Egyptian God Serapis was once found.
We'll then enjoy lunch in the centre of Alexandria, with a menu including fish, and seafood rice. Then in the evening we'll see one of the most important modern buildings in the city: The New Alexandria Library. Built in homage to the library, built in the 3rd century BC and burnt down, perhaps during the Roman Civil War in 48 BC, which housed thousands of papyrus scrolls and was one of the world centres of scholarship and knowledge in the ancient world. Today the library, reinaugurated in 2002, is one of the most important cultural spaces in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Finally, late in the evening, we'll return to the hotels of Cairo.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 6 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 45% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 6 to 12||Children under 6|
Children from 6 to 12US$ 45.90
Children under 6Free
* A reservation for one person will include a supplement.
The tour is exclusively in English.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport in an air conditioned bus.
English speaking guide.
Entry to the Qaitibay Citadel and the Kom el Shoqafa Catacombs.
Entry to the New Alexandria Library.
Bottle of water.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up to 2 days before (Cairo local time) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Yes (imperative to point out when the booking is made).