The Coptic neighbourhood of Cairo, the Christian part of the Egyptian capital, plays host to a great historic and monumental heritage. Discover it with this guided tour.
Having picked you up at your hotel we make our way to Cairo's Coptic neighbourhood, where we'll learn all about the history of Christianity in Egypt and discover the difference between Coptic Catholics and Coptic Orthodox Christians. Both religious strands have their own temple, both of which we'll visit on our tour.
First we'll head to the church of Saint Maria the Virgin, better known as The Hanging Church of Cairo - constructed as it is above the old gates of the Babylon fortress. Inside the temple itself, we'll see different works of art and a variety of mosaics belonging to different historical periods.
Our tour continues with the Church of St. George, the orthodox church, and the church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus inside which legend states the holy family hid upon their flight from King Herod.
To complete our knowledge of the Coptic tradition in Cairo we'll visit the Cairo Coptic Museum, whose permanent exhibition houses a wide range of sacred and decorative objects: the most famous objects include the Nag Hammadi Manuscripts. This set of papyri are known as the "Gospel of Judas", documents which have caused no lack of controversy among Theologians over the years.
With the museum visit over, we'll fuel up with lunch in a traditional restaurant in the Coptic neighbourhood. The menu is composed of different specialities, including a main dish of meat and rice.
And having eaten we'll finally head back to the hotel.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
US$ 53.40 US$ 37.60
Per PersonUS$ 53.40 US$ 37.60
3 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
Hotel pick up and drop off.
Transport in an air conditioned bus.
English speaking guide.
Lunch in a local restaurant.
Tickets (to the Cairo Coptic Museum and the churches of Saint Maria and Saints Sergius and Bacchus).
30% discount on the official ticket price.
When to book?
You can book up until 36 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
Yes, imperative to point out when the booking is made.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.